Wednesday 1 June 2011

Victory Rolls... The happy shopper version


So after my last post I had a comment asking if I could give any tips on how to do Victory rolls so I thought I'd quickly put some images together and give you a how to! because to be honest I'm not sure how I learn, I just practised one day and voila there we had it, Victory rolls... Bettina style! Now they're not perfected in any way yet but I think this will give you a rough idea of how I do them and you may be able to figure it out a bit better then I showed you!!

So here we go!! Excuse the really poor quality images and the person in the images wearing very little make up and Afro hair... It is a Wednesday and I have washed my hair!  But anyway...

I don't think it matters on where your parting is in your hair, I've had a side parting since I was about 12 years old because personally I do not think a centre one suits me but victory rolls often work really well with a centre parting and it is easier when it comes to sectioning your hair off because you get an even amount on each side...

Start by getting a small section of hair (enough to make quite a thick roll out of it!)
Then get a comb and back comb near the roots of the section so it makes it stand out a bit more,
make sure you smooth it all out before or after you've done your roll because otherwise you look
like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards and that is not a good look!

Next get the end of the section of the hair and roll it into a circle... If you're having trouble with this you can spray it a bit with hairspray so it all stays in place when you're rolling it. Once you have rolled the end into a circle, keep rolling it towards your head like you word a pin curl so then it looks like a barrel against your scalp. (Everyone now Roooolllll outtt thhheee barrrellll... no just me? )
 Grip it in place with Kirby Grips, you can try to hide them so it looks like it's standing up all by itself but if that's too fiddly just clip it in anywhere so it stays in place
And if any of that made sense it should look something like this!

Basically you have to do exactly the same on the other side but when it comes to Sectioning it make sure its around the same amount of hair as the other roll because when it comes to rolling it it could look uneven and ruin the whole Do!
Rolling the second one may take a few attempts to make sure it looks even and right compared to the other, but luckily you've got the other side of your head to look at to even them out!

And this is what the rolls should look like! Given they are a bit scruffy but you get the idea I hope?
Now if you have a fringe you could always leave it but I think this often ruins the hair style so why not try rolling your fringe too?
You don't necessarily have to have a fringe to be able to roll it, just make sure you section a small part of your hair before you start this whooole process
You do the fringe roll pretty much similar to the others but I don't tend to back comb mine, I used to have to do it with heated rollers or tongs but I've got the hang of doing it without these now, if you are still a bit wary you can just roll it with your tongs and then clip it in place with a grip
I tend to do mine at a diagonal angle because I think it shapes my face better but you can do it horizontal so you've got a Bettie Page Esq style fringe, I find it looks more forties then a diagonal fringe so I tend to stay away from it because I'm more of a fifties gal.
Try curling the rest of your hair with tongs or rollers to glam it up more or you can clip the rest of the hair up also for a easy up do!

But ta da here is what you should end up with!!
All in all this took me around 5 minutes to do, not bad really considering I've only
just got the hang of it! This may take you a bit longer at first but once you've got the hang of it you'll be able to do it easy peasy, but be prepared to have aching arms because you will get them and after all practise does make perfect!!

Until Next Time
Toodle Pip
xxx


6 comments:

  1. Hello! I found your blog through my uca email :) I've just finished a fashion design course at uca Epsom! I dress in Lolita but I wear a lot of vintage and mix some retro style into my outfits, so I find your blog really interesting. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like my blog :) Hope your course went well? Hope my tutorial helped, your style sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah thank you so much for doing this! I'm going to give them a go tomorrow. You're a star! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. definately going to try doing this, so glad i found your blog, i love 1940-50's things!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! looking trough your blog photos and you are like 50's beauty all the way! stunning.x

    ReplyDelete